Friday, January 18, 2013

Is Purity Making a Comeback?

Remember purity rings?  The first time I heard of them was circa 2007 when the Jonas Brothers showed theirs off proudly.  Many people made fun of them choosing to be a virgin, while others were inspired by them and bought their own.  It was an admirable lifestyle choice, but in the end proved to be a fad that died out within a year or two.

On a more recent episode of The Real Housewives of Atlanta one of the housewives' daughters took up a vow of celibacy and asked her mother for a purity ring.  I thought the prospect was a little strange because the purity ring did seem to be a fleeting fad when I was her age.  But recently a Facebook friend of mine posted a photo of her new purity ring.  Considering she is in college I'm calling this a bold move and giving her a round of applause.  I remember being the weird kid in high school who boys seemed to be allergic to.  I didn't get my first kiss until I was 17 and felt really behind the curve.  There were people I went to high school with who lost their virginities well before I ever got my first kiss.  I felt like since I wasn't having sex that I was missing out on something.  When a friend of mine would talk about her sexual encounters I felt left out because I had no stories of my own to share.  I never felt pressured to have sex, but I did often feel left out.    

I can honestly say that I have so much respect for someone who openly admits to being a virgin and committing to reserve a special part of themselves for someone who they feel deserves it.  I hope everyone who takes on this endeavor reach their goal of finding that special someone.  I know that sometimes I wish I had chosen someone different.

Forever the honest,
Stephanie Lato

No comments:

Post a Comment