Friday, February 8, 2013

Why Winter Rocks

The 24-hour snowstorm just started and I'm pumped!  I know everyone hates the snow, and the ice (as do I), and the cold.  People get bummed because they can't go out and party or because they have to dig their cars out or have to make the trek in the snow to class because their professor is the Devil and decided not to cancel lecture.  I'll give you a few reasons to love winter that just may change your perspective in the so called "inclement weather."

1) Snow covers the dirt:
          After all the leaves fall off of the trees the ground is covered in decaying matter, the trees are naked, and for whatever reason there's mud everywhere.  Salt covers everyone's car and everyone's black boots.  But snow covers all of it, at least for a little while, renewing nature's beauty.

2) No public nudity:
          In the warmer seasons people wear, well, a whole lot less than they should.  You get to see every man's hairy armpits and everyone's sore, sunburned bodies, and everyone's bare feet.  People are sweating and squinting in the sun and wearing obnoxiously bright colors that hurt your eyes even more.  Frequently, tourists in my town will disregard the no shirt, no shoes, no service rule, and walk into stores and restaurants with bare feet, and nothing on their bare bottom except for a very tiny swimsuit.  Let us also not forget speedos, the creator of which should have been imprisoned.  In the winter not only is everyone covered up, but everyone seems, well, more fashionable!  Layered looks and knee-high boots are a personal favorite.  I'm also a sucker for guys in sweaters.  There's just something about being snuggly warm that is oh so tempting.  Outerwear is also an addiction of mine.  I am a coat connoisseur, indulging in wool and faux furs.

3) Snowballs
          See someone nearby who you don't like?  Throw a snowball at them, put your hood up, and run in the other direction!

4) Snow is a show
          Like fire, snow is mesmerizing.  It's so pretty and you can scarecely take your eyes off of it when it's falling.  My mother told me of a vacation she took with my father when they had just gotten married.  They went up to a cabin during the Superbowl weekend (neither of my parents follow sports) and just watched the snow fall.  It's the most romantic thing I've ever heard, and a magical moment I want to share with the love of my life.
          Also, from certain places around your campus you can look out the window and watch everyone fall on their butts when it all ices over!  Cheap thrills, I know.

5) Hot cocoa.  Need I say more?

Forever the honest,
Stephanie Lato

No comments:

Post a Comment