Saturday, February 2, 2013

It's all Coming Together

I want to start off this post with saying that I most awesomely fixed my life, with help of course.  Reflecting on my life one year ago I am able to realize how my life has done a total and complete 180.  One year ago I was studying at SUNY Purchase, miserable, jaded, depressed, and feeling physically ill in some way or another almost every single day.  All of my illnesses flared up at the same exact time due to many exhausting years of NSAID usage.  I was stuck in classes I did not like and had next to no intention of attending.  I had an unsatisfactory roommate life.  I had absolutely no direction in my life and was looking at another full year of misery in a piece of sh*t college with its sh*t eating students (a quote I used on the phone-a-thon people from Purchase when they called me) and felt trapped.

This time last year I was a wreck.  The biggest wreck I've ever been, actually.  But today I feel better than I've ever been before, in my whole life really.  Other than a multivitamin and a daily oral contraceptive I am not currently taking any medication in pill form.  My only real medication comes in the form of a biweekly self injection.  One of my illnesses has actually disappeared.  I'm in the Ivy League of SUNY schools, with a better average than I ever attained at Purchase, love all of my classes, and have the rest of my college career planned out.  This is going to be my toughest semester yet.  I saw the opportunity to complete all of the requirements for my major this semester, and so have enrolled myself in very challenging, upper level classes.  Since all 80 something of my credits from Purchase transferred I need only take three classes this semester, however I decided to take a fourth.  I took a class with the professor last semester and I think it is more important for me to establish a rapport with professors I like rather than take the easy way out.  And why am I doing this?  Because I'm going to law school, and will be needing recommendations   You heard me right.  LAW SCHOOL.  However, I will be staying an extra year at college than intended, by CHOICE.  There is no mandatory senior project at Binghamton University, but I am given the opportunity to complete an honors thesis.  And so within three semesters, the current one included, I will graduate the top SUNY school with an honors degree.  My former friends rubbed it in my face how I was worth less than them.  Well now I'm basically metaphorically kicking them in the balls and marrying their mother, giving myself supreme authority over them.  It may sound like I'm gloating, and that's because I am.  I am so proud of myself for turning my life around.  I achieved what I had only dreamed of.  My life is working out so well that sometimes it literally scares me.  I've never had so much to lose before, and I'll be damned if I let anyone or anything get in the way of it.  I've honestly never been proud of myself before, but now I am.  I'm not only proving to myself that I am worth something, but I'm proving it to everyone else who ever doubted me.  This is a story I will tell my kids.  I've come a hell of a long way in such a ridiculously short amount of time.  That's the most impressive thing I've ever heard.  Make a note of it: if anyone ever tells you you're worthless, metaphorically kick them in the balls and marry their mother.

Forever the honest,
Stephanie Lato    

No comments:

Post a Comment